Thursday, September 24, 2015

Japanese Mythology: Reading Diary B


  • “the fickle Yamato”  Interesting description of him
  • ““Mortal, behold Benten, Goddess of Deathless Love,” sang the mermaid.”  The names of these gods and goddess are really interesting.  Is deathless love the same as undying love?
  • “Suddenly she cast him from her: “To win my love thou must dare death,” she demanded imperiously.”  Does this play into her name, deathless love?
  • I like how so much of this tale seems to be either songs or poetry
  • I wonder why, of all birds, he asks the stork to help him?
  • One of the labors is the demon boar
  • “Here the chieftains welcomed Yamato with feigned hospitality, inviting his warriors to a deer-hunt upon the moor.”  Why was it feigned?
  • Yamato kind of reminds me of Odysseus
  • Yamato is a huge jerk to Tacibana
  • Wait, Susa-no-wo is evil?
  • The part with the siren kind of reminds me of Lanval.
  • A demon deer?  That seems a little odd.  I’ve never heard of deer being anything other than gentle.
  • He finally wants Tacibana?  Bleh
  • Seriously, what is up with all the serpents?  It’s like every story I’ve read this far has had one.
  • Tacibana is the one to save Yamato from the siren
  • “Reckless Yamato, thou hast adventured upon my ever-verdant Sea Plain and defied my father, the God of Ocean. Therefore shalt thou perish, else another victim be granted me.”  I feel like reckless is a very accurate description of Yamato
  • Tacibana died to save Yamato



No comments:

Post a Comment