Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Ovid I: Reading Diary A

Peter Paul Rubens' The Fall of Phaeton 
  • Deucalion is the son of Prometheus.  (I can use this if I do my storybook over Prometheus)
  • The flood resembles the flood in the Bible
  • I think it is very interesting that there is an acknowledgement of the uncertainty of the goddess’s meaning
  • Juno: “‘Either I am wrong, or being wronged”  Clever wording
  • “Shame urges him to it, Amor urges not. Amor would have conquered Shame.”  Does that mean that love is more important/powerful than shame?
  • Mercury is super gentle and friendly with Argus until he lulls him to sleep, then immediately off with his head.
  • Clymene is the mother of Phaethon.  Isn’t she the mother of Prometheus and his brothers too?  So she is an oceanid?
  • Gods swear by the River Styx
  • What? Lucifer is in this?
  • Apollo seems to be a very concerned father.  This is really surprising
  • A lot of the stories in Ovid are connected in small ways. 
  • Phaethon is buried in Italy
  • Apollo is deeply upset by his son’s death.  He basically quits bringing the sun and daylight into the sky
  • ‘Here, surely, my wife will not see my cunning, or if she does find out it is, oh it is, worth a quarrel!’ Jupiter = massive creep
  • Yeah, the gods of Olympus should not be giving out quite so many rash boons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment