Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Through the Looking Glass (Week 10)

Illustration by John Tenniel
  • “Then she began looking about and noticed that what could be seen from the old room was quite common and uninteresting, but that all the rest was as different as possible.”  This seems to be when things start really happening and getting interesting.
  • So everything in Through the Looking Glass takes place after Alice in Wonderland.
  • “'So I shall be as warm here as I was in the old room,' thought Alice: 'warmer, in fact, because there'll be no one here to scold me away from the fire. Oh, what fun it'll be, when they see me through the glass in here and can't get at me!’”  This seems to be awfully mean to her parents, not to mention bratty.
  • The part with the Walrus and the Carpenter seems really weird and creepy.  The oysters in particular were pretty odd.
  • Tweedledee and Tweedledum seem awfully rattled. 
  • I wonder how the selections were chosen.  Obviously not all of the chapters are included in the UnTextbook.
  • “'I said you LOOKED like an egg, Sir,' Alice gently explained. 'And some eggs are very pretty, you know,' she added, hoping to turn her remark into a sort of a compliment.”  I feel like this fits Alice’s personality perfectly.  She is kind of witty, yet kind of silly, yet kind all at the same time. 
  • “'In summer, when the days are long,
  • Perhaps you'll understand the song:
  • In autumn, when the leaves are brown,
  • Take pen and ink, and write it down.'”  I really like this.  It’s a pretty little song.

No comments:

Post a Comment