Monday, November 9, 2015

Reading Diary A: Aesop's Fables (Week 12)

illustration from Bewick's Aesop


  • This Fable will a general law attest:
  • That each one deems that what's his own is best.  Definitely my favorite line out of that fable.
  • I’m surprised by how involved the gods are in the fables
  • It is interesting to me that Aesop switched a man for Pandora in this fable.  It is a curious thing to do.
  • I wonder why the trees were so important to the gods
  • “Those who are known to have deceived,
  • When they speak truth, are not believ'd.”
  • Says a man,
  • "Why build you on so small a plan?"
  • The Sage replies: "Though small, I fear
  • There's more than room for friends sincere."
  • A Boy that would not learn his Book was a little odd.  I got what it was saying, but it was silly.
  • “The Fox (being one of the Pretenders) stomach’d it extremely to see the Choice go against him, and presently rounds the New-elect in the Ear, with a piece of secret Service that he could do him.”  Why is the fox a pretender?
  • The fox as a trickster again.  I wonder where this idea comes from originally.
  • The fox flatters the crow, then steals its food.
  • We actually discussed the fox and the grapes today in one of my classes!
  • “Still meditating self-defence,
  • At any other man's expense.”
  • “he subtle Fox herself avails
  • And by his horns the mound she scales,
  • And leaves the Goat in all the mire
  • To gratify his heart's desire.”
  • “Lion and Man, on some pretense,
  • Disputed for preeminence.”  Oh wow, interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment