Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Storytelling: A Bedtime Fable (Week 12)

The Wolf and the Lamb by Wenceslaus Hollar

“Mom, will you tell me a story?”  Lucy looked down at her daughter from the doorway.

“Of course, Luna.  What would you like to hear?”

“I dunno!  Just a story!”

“Okay, okay.  Calm down and get into bed.”

Luna ran across the room, almost tripping on the too-long pant legs of her pajama bottoms, and jumped unto the bed.  Her dark hair flew around her face as she bounced to a stop.  Lucy shook her head and smiled.

“Come on, silly.  Under the cover.”

Luna crawled beneath the blankets and wriggled around until she was comfortable.  Lucy sat on the edge of the bed and patted Luna’s leg.

“So, a story.  Hmm.  How about a fable?”

“What’s a fable?”

“It’s a kind of story with lots of animals in it.”

“Ohhhh.  Okay!  Tell me a fable!”

“How about the one with the wolf and the lamb?”

“Yeah!  Wolf and lamb!”

“Okay, well it goes something like this…

There once was a wolf and a lamb drinking from opposite ends of a stream.  The lamb was more than happy to share the water with everyone, but the wolf was greedy and mean.  The water flowed from the wolf then down to where the lamb was.  When the wolf saw the lamb there, he grew very angry.  He snuck up on the lamb and yelled, “Why are you drinking from my stream?  You’re ruining it!”

The lamb jumped away and answered the wolf, “But the water reaches you first, then flows to me.  Even if I were ruining it, you would never taste it!”

The wolf ignored the young lamb’s logic.  Instead, he blamed the lamb for something its father had done long ago.  The wolf was okay with using any excuse he could to be mean to the little lamb, even though he was blameless.

And I believe the fable ends with the lines,
‘To those this fable I address
Who are determined to oppress,
And trump up any false pretence,

But they will injure innocence.’”

Once Lucy was finished with the story, she looked at Luna snuggled up in her bed.  Luna’s eyes weren’t as wide as they had been before, and Lucy could tell that she was fighting a yawn.

“What did you think, kiddo?”

“The wolf was bad.”

“That’s right.  The wolf was bad.  Do you know what the moral of the story was?”

“Yeah, Mommy.  It’s bad people are bad.”  Lucy smiled a bit and tried not to chuckle at the short and sweet answer her daughter gave.


“That’s right, Sweetie.  Bad people, or wolves, are bad.”

Finally, Luna yawned.  Lucy stood up and pulled to covers up to her daughter's neck and tucked her in.  

"Alright, now.  Go to bed."

"Can you tell me another fable tomorrow?"

"Sure thing, Sweetie."

"Good, because I like the animals, even if they are bad sometimes."  This made Lucy laugh a little.

"Alright, Sweetie.  Now, seriously, go to bed.  Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Mommy,"



Author's Note:
I chose to write this like a bed time story because the fables were so short, that it would work as being a part of the story itself.  I felt like a bed time story would be a good way to create a frame for the fable.  The fable included in my story is the actual fable from the Untextbook.  There were several of the fables that seemed to have a similar moral or theme that this one did, so I went with the story of the Lamb and the Wolf to include in my story.

The Comedies of Terence and the Fables of Phaedrus
translated by Henry Thomas Riley,
to which is added
a Metrical Translation of Phaedrus
by Christopher Smart.
1887.

4 comments:

  1. Did you just copy and paste the fable into your story? While I’m sure you mean for Luna to be a smart girl, no one really sits down and recites fables word-for-word like this to their young children. Lucy could just have easily told this story like “Well, one day, a thirsty wolf went down to the creek…” Putting the fable into your own words is the whole point of this exercise. If you re-write the fable bit, I’ll come back and leave a more in-depth comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed Kirstein's comment, and she's right about needing to rewrite the fable... or maybe this: if I were a little kid, I probably would not understand the style of Christohper Smart at all, since he wrote those poems hundreds of years ago. It might be fun to do this where the child keeps interrupting and interrupting and interrupting: what a maw? what's cram? what's umbrage? I bet the mother would be pretty exhausted by the time it was all over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the font you’ve chosen to use on this site. I also liked the background. It was a little hard to read with but after I zoomed in with my mac, it was much easier to read. The story is great. You had dialogue, which is always good. Taking a fable and expanding it into a story incorporating it is a very nice thing. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think writing your piece as a story being told by someone else was a good idea. You also put it into a good setting where the reader is able to visualize the mother telling her daughter a bedtime story. The dialogue between the two is very realistic and not forced as it is in many pieces of writings. Good job!

    ReplyDelete