Monday, November 16, 2015

Reading Diary A: Dante's Inferno (Week 13)

  • “In the middle of the journey of our life, I came to myself, in a dark wood, where the direct way was lost.”  Our is plural.  Who is the other person?  I know one is Dante, but who is the other?  He came to himself?  What does that mean?  Does that mean that he becomes aware?
  • He was “so full of sleep.”  That’s like a dream.
  • There is some watery language
  • Leopards, lions, wolves, oh my!
  • “where the sun is silent.”  What?  This sounds a bit like Alice in Wonderland…
  • Why does Dante want to travel through Hell?
  • Does he go through Hell to escape the animals?
  • “Here, all uncertainty must be left behind; all cowardice must be dead”  Interesting
  • It is interesting that he is comforted by such a sinner touching his hand.
  • They ignore the people who are in between
  • “And see, an old man, with white hoary locks, came towards us in a boat.” Charon is an old man.
  • Charon does not want to take Dante and Virgil across.
  • “My son, those who die subject to God's anger all gather here, from every country, and they are quick to cross the river since divine justice goads them on, so that their fear is turned to desire. This way no good spirit ever passes.”  Good to know
  • 'How can I go on, if you are afraid, who are my comfort when I hesitate?'
  • Virgil doesn’t fear the first circle of hell, but rather pities those who reside there.

Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002).


No comments:

Post a Comment