Saturday, August 29, 2015

Brainstorming Topics for Storybook

Topic: Trickster
Comments:  I’ve always liked trickster stories.  The cleverness and wit in the stories always hooks me.  I know that there are some trickster stories where the trickster wins and others where the trickster gets beat at his own game.  I want to learn how those that outsmart the trickster manage to do that.
Possible Stories:  There are tons of sites and places to find information on tricksters.  Just about every culture has one.  Rumpelstiltskin is one of the stories that I found most enjoyable and interesting when I was younger, so that is one that I would like to explore.  There are also stories of the fox, a kitsune, in Japanese folklore, as well as several others in Native American cultures.  
Sample Story: I chose Rumpelstiltskin because it was one of the stories of someone outsmarting the trickster.  It is also his own fault that makes him lose.  I really like that he starts out seeming helpful, but then that just leads to a more devious plan.  
Bibliographical Information:
Story: Rumpelstiltskin
Author: the Brother’s Grimm
Source: the UnTextbook
Topic: Mean Queens/Mothers in Fairy Tales:
Title: “Royally Pea-d Off”
Comments:  This seems to be an incredibly common thing in fairy tales.  If I do this as a Storybook, I want to see if I can play with that idea and make something a little bit more comical and significant out of it.
Possible Stories:  There are so many possible stories I could use.  Cinderella would be one of the most obvious.  So would Snow White.  Rapunzel would be a good one to look at as well.
Sample Story: I think I’m going to focus on the Princess and the Pea.  The queen/mother in it isn’t particularly nasty, but she goes out of her way to test the princess and is a kind sneaky.  I think it would turn into a really fun Storybook.  Another reason why I would like to use this story is because it is one that has lost a good bit of popularity.  It isn’t a movie either, so it would be fun to really run with it.
Story source: The Princess and the Pea from Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by H. P. Paull (1872).  UnTextbook
Topic: Titans
Title: Prometheus Unbound
Comments:  Whenever people think of Greek Mythology, they usually think of gods and goddesses.  There were an entire different group in charge before the gods were, yet most people don’t know much about them.  My plan would be to focus on Prometheus.  He was essentially the protector of mankind and tried to take them under his wing.  Zeus, unfortunately, didn’t like him or his methods and punished him.  Prometheus was chained to a rock and an eagle would come and eat his liver everyday.  Because of his immortality, his liver regenerated and he was forced to live through it until his punishment ends.  
Possible Stories:  I could probably use the story of Prometheus taking fire for the humans.  He was also known for being clever and tricking Zeus.  There are also a lot of different resources and stories I can use about him.
Sample Story:  I found out a lot more about Prometheus than I previously knew.  He was a bit of a trickster, but he used his skills for good.  He also set the precedent for the way people gave sacrifices and offerings to Zeus and the other gods.  
Bibliographic Information:
Story: Prometheus
Website:  Greek Mythology  

Topic: Titans
Comments:  Whenever people think of Greek Mythology, they usually think of gods and goddesses.  There were an entire different group in charge before the gods were, yet most people don’t know much about them.  Atlas is one of the most well known Titans.  Most people know that he was forced to hold the heavens on his shoulders.  There are a lot of other stories about him though.  He also was against the gods and lead the army against them.  
Possible Stories:  There are several stories about Atlas.  Something I found out was that the Atlantic Ocean and Atlantis were named after him.
Sample Stories:  I really like the story of Atlas leading the titans against the gods.  It’s noble in a way.  After he is defeated, he carries the burden of the heavens.  He tries to get out of it by tricking people.  I chose it because it makes me wonder if there would ever be a way for him to be free from his duty.
Bibliographic Information:
Story: Atlas
Website: Wikipedia  

No comments:

Post a Comment