Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Exploring the UnTextbook: What I Found

I had a really hard time choosing(as you can see below).  The one's that I wrote something for are the top few that I'm interested in though.  
  • Through the Looking Glass – I read this as a freshman and was completely surprised by the story.  Now, years later, I want to reacquaint myself with the story and see how I feel about it all now.  Also, I know that Disney is making a film very of this finally, so that’s got me a little excited.
  • Homer’s Odyssey – I chose this unit partly because of all the amazing creatures and adventures it contains and partly because it has spawned so many works that are based on it.  I’m familiar with bits and pieces of the story and would like to understand it more as a whole.
  • King Arthur – No one can live up to the great King Arthur.  I decide to do this unit because of all the mysteries and story that surround him. 
  • Ovid I – I had a class last semester that touched on Ovid and some of his tales, so I’m super excited to go more in-depth with the stories. 
  • Robin Hood – Growing up, I loved watching the cartoon version.  My mom also loved the Kevin Costner version.  So I got my fair share of Robin Hood as a kid.  Now I want to know that the story actually is.  
  • Adam and Eve
  • Aesop
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Cupid and Psyche
  • Dante’s Inferno
  • Arabian Nights
  • Egyptian Myth
Arthur and the Questing Beast, Source: UnTextbook
I chose this image because it's in such muted colors, but that doesn't seem to take away from the image itself.  In the foreground is the beast and Arthur, both looking relaxed.  It the background is a whole mess of foliage and trees.  It just made an interesting contrast that stuck out to me.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, that is cool that you already encountered Ovid in a class, Nicole! His influence over the centuries has been HUGE: unlike a lot of other Roman poets, he continued to be widely read in the Middle Ages... and he has ended up being one of the most important sources we have for Greek mythology, even though he was a Roman author himself. We get the benefit of all the Greek poetry that he read (now lost), which he then adapted into wonderful Latin poetry. The version I use for class is prose, but if you are curious, you can find verse translations of Ovid online too, like this wonderful old one which is presumably the Ovid that Shakespeare knew:
    The XV Bookes of P. Ovidius Naso, entytuled Metamorphosis, translated oute of Latin into English meeter, by Arthur Golding Gentleman, a work very pleasaunt and delectable.
    Ovid is one of my very favorite storytellers!

    ReplyDelete