Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Growth Mindset

I found the videos to be incredibly interesting.  I’ve always been curious about why most things were grade by the end result rather than the process to get the result.  Especially in math, we were always encouraged to show work, but then the way the problems were worked out was not accounted for in the grade.  That always seemed so odd to me.  I’ve never heard of Carol Dweck, but I found most of what she said to go hand in hand with my own personal experiences.  The biggest thing that I learned in college is that I got away without making much effort to learn in high school.  College was completely different.  Even though I was taking higher level classes, I never had to study.  In college, I had to teach myself to study because things got more challenging.  I think my biggest challenge for learning new things is to not get frustrated whenever things don’t come to me naturally.  I’m really interested in learning more about the growth mindset.  I’m hoping it will help me finish kicking the habits that I picked up when I was younger.  
Errors are the Portals of Discovery, source: Growth Mindset Blog

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you enjoyed the videos, Nicole! I've relied on Carol Dweck's research and ideas for years, and then when I saw lots of other teachers (mostly K-12) actually teaching ABOUT growth mindset in their classes, I thought I would give it a try! You are exactly right about how college works best when you can teach yourself, and then knowing where to go to find the help you need. That's why I like teaching these online classes so much: instead of being the professor lecturing, I am more like the coach who is helping... and of course I get to learn new stuff all the time from the questions people ask and the things that they need help with. I am really curious to see what you will want to do with these growth mindset ideas this semester, and I hope lots of students will want to give this experiment a try so that we can all be learning from each other too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I could relate to a lot that you said in your blog. Whenever I see peers around me really understand a concept right of the bat and I am still "lost" it is very hard for me to avoid getting frustrated. I think growth mindset is an excellent way to remind ourselves that there is always and end goal rather than an immediate result. Good luck on putting growth mindset as a practice in your life! I am sure it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicole,

    I completely agree with out about the study habits from high school to college. I could get away with never studying in high school and still had straight A’s but in college, I was in for a rude awakening when I found out how hard It actually was but that was a lesson learned. Don’t get frustrated because if it wasn’t hard then everyone could do it and that makes knowing the information less special and unique.

    ReplyDelete