Monday, August 17, 2015

My Favorite Place: Valencia, Venezuela

Valencia is a very special place for me.  I've been going there since before I can remember.  In fact, I was baptized there as a baby.  My dad grew up in the city, and I always remember thinking how amazing it must have been to live here as a kid.  Some of my first memories are of my parents and me arriving in Venezuela and having to drive through lush scenery, long tunnels, and vibrant city to get to my Nonna's house.  Unfortunately, the country is not very safe any more so travelling there is pretty difficult.  The last time I was able to go was in 2012, right after I graduated.  Within a couple of hours of the city are such amazing places, and I was lucky enough to visit some of them.  One of my favorite things about the city and the country is how colorful it is.  You walk down residential streets and the everything is brimming with color.  The people are just as vibrant.  
Skyline of Valencia, Venezuela
Source: Wikipedia

Colonia Tovar, Venezuela
Source: TopHDGallery

Morrocoy Beach, Venezuela
Source: VenezuelanDreams

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I am sure that this is the first time Valencia, Venezuela has ever shown up as a favorite place in this class: how exciting, Nicky! And the pictures are just beautiful! Maybe you will want to do a project about Venezuela for class! I don't know if any specifically Venezuelan resources online, but in Bizzell Library we have this book in the Venezuelan folklore category:
    The way of the dead Indians: Guajiro myths and symbols.
    F2270.2.G6 F4713 1987
    Anyway, you can see what you think as you explore. And thank you for sharing these lovely pictures (and I like the background image for your blog too). I hope you will enjoy the class!

    ReplyDelete