Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Storytelling: God's New Creation (Week 2)

Lucifer Versus the Lord by Mihály Zichy, Source

Adam.  God’s little pet.  His favorite.  I’ve been around for far longer than he! Yet, somehow, he gets God’s blessing.  I, who was by God’s side for so, so long, had been cast aside instead.  The injustice of it all is really quite baffling.  The other angels agreed with me.  Or at least some of them did.  Of course, the cowards weren’t willing to stand with me when the time came to confront the Big Man, so I was the one infamously punished.  I wasn’t even one of the ones who tried to set Adam on fire! The only real thing I was guilty of is question my Creator’s judgment.

All the angels talked of Adam, God’s new creation, as if he was were the most magnificent thing to grace the heavens since God himself.  At first, I didn’t mind it.  Adam was new and shiny; of course he would draw attention.  Soon, though, the shininess faded.  The angels quieted themselves and things were calm for a short while.  Despite early indications of God’s favor, we all acted as if there wasn’t an imbalance.  Unfortunately, the favoritism soon became blindingly clear.  Some of the angels wept, for they had been replaced in God’s highest graces.  Others turned a blind eye.  Others yet were angry, rightfully so.  I was one such angel.  As the morning star, I felt it my duty to stand for the other angels, to represent them in this injustice.  A creature that He had created from the dust of the earth was more glorious than I?  Than the other angels?  Preposterous!

I took my complaint before my Father.  I begged him to see the error of his ways, to see that angels were really superior to this one man.  I asked him for a test, something that would prove how mighty I was in comparison to Adam.  My Father assented.  The test, however, was absurd.  God had recently created animals, but had yet to name them.  Our trial was to name the animals.  It was deceivingly simple.

The animals had yet to be named.  How could there be a wrong answer?  Somehow, there was though.  My answer was the wrong answer.  Ox!  Cow!  Camel!  Donkey!  What sort of names were those?  Adam shot the names off like rapid-fire.  It sounded like he just said the first bit of gibberish that came to his mind.  Wherever he pulled the names from, God seemed to be content with them.  He declared Adam victorious.  I was livid.  How could this happen?  There was no other explanation other than God’s unbalanced favor.  Immediately, I told my brethren of the offence.  Many rallied around me.

Michael was one of those who opposed me.  He was always one for the rules.  He begged me to praise Adam, like God desired.  He also warned me against my disobedience.  Neither he, nor anyone else could stop me.  I had proven myself time and time again.  I deserved a place among the stars; I deserved a throne.

Soon, God received word of my rebellion.  He anger was immeasurable, but I expected it.  I expected to feel his wrath, and I thought was prepared for it.  I wasn’t prepared to lose my wings.  I wasn’t prepared to lose heaven and earth.

I was fallen.  But I would have my revenge on Adam.  If I had to be cast from Paradise, he would too.

Author's note
For the reading I decided to do the unit over Adam and Eve. Part of the unit was from the Bible and part was from other sources.  The section I focused on mainly in the story above wasn't from the Bible but from another source.  I chose to write about the fall of Satan because it was a story that so many people know about and it's one that I have always been curious about.  I specifically chose to right it from his point of view because I thought it would provide an interesting twist.  
The Legends of the Jews by Louis Ginzberg (1909): Volume 1
Source: UnTextbook

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I love your blog background it is very calming. I like the story told from the personal perspective of the villain. It reminds me of what the television series Once Upon a Time, did a season where it was about the villains trying to get a happy ending. Sometimes a story needs to be heard from both sides of the story, not just the winning team. You did a good job of capturing the jealous brooding older brother role. I was also sad that the story ended when it did, I would like to know what he was planning to do to Adam. It may be interesting to hear the story about Satan being a jealous older brother by the point of view of the naive brother Adam. What a disfunctional family the divine family is. I really like your story, you did a great job making this a fun read for people who are familiar with the story, and I bet it is still a charming story for someone who was unaware of the original story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your retelling. Nothing stronger than jealousy and pride! Even more true when you thought you all were pals right?
    The foreshadowing of Lucifer's revenge at the end was especially a nice touch since we know what is coming next (but this retelling gives another view to that too!)

    (PS I don't know if you do tumblr but your retelling reminded me of a post I saw some time back. It was about Lucifer and God but humans are represented as ferrets. http://whiskyandoldspice.tumblr.com/post/43336722761/sometimes-i-feel-so-bad-for-lucifer-imagine)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a twist in the point of view. I like it. I like the menace I feel, and the emotion conveyed. Especially the last line about loosing wings and the explosion from paradise. Also my name is Michael so I like that my name was in there haha. Keep up the good writing and storytelling Nicole!

    ReplyDelete